Thursday, March 01, 2018

What's Caught My Attention Lately....


It's been just about a month since I last posted here, and what a month it's been.  I was away for a couple of weeks on a wonderful family vacation to Vietnam and Cambodia.  While it was a mostly psychiatry-free trip, the sign above did grab my attention.  It was a sign at the ecolodge where we were staying in Mai Chau, a rural area of Vietnam where water buffalo are still used as work animals in the rice paddies.  Why are persons with mental illness not permitted in the pool?  I have no idea, but it seems that stigma is rampant everywhere.  

So do let me give links to the things I've been writing and thinking about.  

~When I last posted on Shrink Rap, it was in response to Pete Earley's mention of 'the worried well.'  Pete also ran my response   and John Snook of the  Treatment Advocacy Center wrote Pete a separate letter which he put up as it's own post.  By all means, do join in the fuss over on Pete's Facebook page where he entertains comments. 

~I moved venues and put up a somewhat related post on PsychologyToday called The Perplexing Semantics of Anosognosia: Why An Obvious Phenomena Has Sparked Controvery.   See what you think, and I look forward to your comments.
  
~Over on Clinical Psychiatry News, I've written two articles on everyone's favorite topic: Medication Prices.  In the first article, I did some comparison shopping for Abilify (aripiprazole) and Provigil (modafanil) and found that the prices varied by HUNDREDS of DOLLARS (and yes, I did mean to yell) per month, depending on the drug store.   In the Second article, I interviewed GoodRx.com co-founder Doug Hirsch and learned about how drug prices are set and why GoodRx is able to offer deep discounts.  

Finally, I'd like to send you over to today's New England Journal of Medicine to read a powerful article about a surgeon who was involuntarily treated for a suicidal major depression.  

No comments: